Monday, July 25, 2011

Open Letter to Senator Mikulski

Below is the text of a letter I wrote to one of my senators, Ms. Barbara Mikulski, this evening:

Dear Senator Mikulski,

My name is Matthew Reisman, and I am a resident of Cheverly, Maryland. Tonight, President Obama asked Americans to write to their congressional representatives to let them know that we support "a balanced approach to reducing the deficit." I support such an approach, even if it means making some painful cuts to important entitlement programs--and eliminating tax breaks that I personally benefit from. Please do your part to come to a solution to our nation's debt and recurring budget deficits. And first and foremost, please do your part to resolve the debt ceiling crisis immediately.

The prospects for our prosperity in the near and more distant future depend on all parties abandoning sacred cows and compromising. I believe the President has done his part (and the Republicans in Congress have not), but it also time for the Democrats in Congress to do their part, too. That includes seriously considering reforms to entitlement programs that, while important, will prove unsustainable unless they are reformed.

I appreciate your consideration of my views.

Sincerely,
Matthew Reisman

No comments:

Post a Comment