Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Effects of Offshoring on U.S. Employment

Several colleagues and I are presently researching the effects on U.S. employment when U.S. service firms expand overseas. Our study touches upon one aspect of a broader debate about the effects of multinational firms' activities outside the United States.

I am often struck by how heated the rhetoric becomes in debates on this issue--and how often this rhetoric is not accompanied by careful consideration of empirical evidence. One of my goals over the coming weeks is to digest what literature I can find on this topic.

As a point of departure, I thought I might recommend National Public Radio's recent story about the issue. The host interviews two well-known economists, Matthew Slaughter and Thea Lee, who bring different perspectives to the discussion. They both make thoughtful observations.

No comments:

Post a Comment